Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Last Valentines Day

Today is Valentine's Day. Yesterday was the closest school day to it , so I celebrated it in my classroom. Since this was my last Valentines Day as a teacher, I went, what is for me, all out. I adorned my room with 18 valentines that I had gotten in an email from a physics teacher a few years ago. I don't know the original source of these, but each one is devoted to one scientist and makes generally bad puns in a stretch to make their work applicable to the holiday. So this is a nerdy homage to Valentines Day. If you don't get the reference, I am sorry, but you will have to ask or look it up. Most of my students enjoyed it or were very polite in ignoring it. To top it off, I printed small versions of these and gave one to each of my students (unsigned so they could pass it on to their valentine)














In addition, I stole (borrowed?) a poem that I include here:
Emission nebulae are red,
Reflection nebulae are blue,
The universe if expanding
As my love for you.
This was set on a background of these two images


I also had heart shaped Sweetarts to increase the student's sugar level. I had fun doing this. I hope the kids enjoyed it as well.
Next Saturday evening is Astronomy Night, 6:30 to 8:30, at Pine View. It is open to the whole community. Come bring family and friends. There will be telescope set up for you to look through and students to help you understand what you are looking at. Featured objects will be the crescent moon, Venus, Jupiter and it's moons, the Orion Nebula, and more. It will be on the service road by Lake Largo on the south side of campus.

Remember, I will be making a big announcement in a few weeks. Stay tuned for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment